Uggh, I'm going to have to get this list at home, at least Pegasus can burst digest mail.

Anyway, to Troy's question, Yes, that four post block is your demarc. I've got the same thing in my house. As a matter of fact, when I ordered the second line, they put another one in just like it. The posts are tied together in pairs and the inbound telco line will terminate on one side of that block. You simply need to hook up to the other side of it. When I moved in, there was about a dozen pairs of single pair wire wrapped around that second pair of terminals. I had no end of trouble with my phones until I broke it out onto a punch down.

Bruce

>>> tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org 06/12/02 12:27PM >>>

--__--__--

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:58 -0500
From: "Troy.A Johnson" <troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] [OT] Books on phone / dsl wiring

Lots of good information on pricing and stuff,
many thanks!

However, I should have been more specific
in my question. I want more information/specs/
standards for telco to home connections.

My reason for asking is that I have searched around
on the web and found that most demarc units
described/pictured look like gray boxes on the
side of ones house with a telco side and an
enduser side. Mine comes from the pole, in through
a hole in the house, and terminates at a four post
connection block that looks as old as the house
(35 years). I am wondering if the block is my demarc,
or is it on the post. I also want more detail, but
I'll take whatever is offered. :-)

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Troy