> 1.  I have an ASUS P3V4X motherboard.

I have the exact same board. I have used it for quite a while now with both
linux and windows. Currently it is my Slackware SETI at home, TV, DVD, CD
burner, QoS router, software RAID controller, tape backup host, web surfer,
MP3 ripper/encoder (whew) box.

However, I do know that there is a section of the BIOS that is under Power >
Hardware Monitor that checks your CPU temp, Case temp and fan RPM thresholds
which you can choose to ignore but is monitored (and presumably beeps if it
falls below a predefined threshhold) by default.

If you have not already, I would suggest resetting your BIOS to setup
default in case the core voltage was tweaked at some point.

Also, another possibility is that one of your fans is going bad and drops
below RPM threshhold. If you have noticed that if you jar the box and the
problem goes away this is almost certainly the problem. It would also
explain the apparent randomness of the problem.

> 3.  The only odd thing I found was that there was a chassis fan,
> mounted directly under the power supply, that was wired to the CPU_FAN
> power lead, and the CPU_FAN power lead was wired to the PWR_FAN lead.
> Looking at the chassis fan in question, I suspect that this was done
> because the line to the power lead isn't long enough to reach the
> PWR_FAN lead.

This should really make no difference except maybe in powersave mode the
voltage to the case fan may be throttled back....not sure