Michael Vieths writes:
 > Err, if it's beeping, there's probably a good reason.  Heat is a big one.
 > You may want to make sure your heat sink is properly secured, and that the
 > fans in your case are running.  You may also want to find the manual for
 > your motherboard and read it to see if you're getting a specific beep code
 > for what's wrong.

I suspect that this is right.  Here's some more info, in case anyone
can help:

1.  I have an ASUS P3V4X motherboard.

2.  I opened it up and everything LOOKS fine (to a person who is
mechanically declined like me) BUT

3.  The only odd thing I found was that there was a chassis fan,
mounted directly under the power supply, that was wired to the CPU_FAN
power lead, and the CPU_FAN power lead was wired to the PWR_FAN lead.
Looking at the chassis fan in question, I suspect that this was done
because the line to the power lead isn't long enough to reach the
PWR_FAN lead.

I'm totally naive, so does the above sound like the sort of thing that
might cause the problem?

4.  I'm going to install the latest gkrellm, and hope that it can
diagnose my CPU temperature.  The mobo, of course, came with
Windows-only diagnostics.