You can use the cyrus-imap daemon.  It will allow you to have imap mail
users (who can use a web based mail client such as squirrelmail or
something similar, there are lots) who do not have a shell account on your
server.

Note that Cyrus is not for the faint of heart.  There is a cyrus-howto
document on linuxdoc.org that isn't too out of date.  The Cyrus website is
at: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/

Administration of a cyrus-imap server can be more of a pain, but it's the
only way that I've found (with open-source software anyway) of having mail
users independent of the rest of the system.

Note that you can also create normal users on your box, let them access
e-mail via imap, and in /etc/passwd define the users as not having a
shell.  This should (in theory, I have not personally tried this) give you
users that can send and receive e-mail, but can't log directory into a
shell on your box.

Jeff