On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:30:09PM -0500, Jared Burns wrote:
> Is it possible to connect to a pre-existing window on a remote X server?
>
> If I have my mail program running on my desktop and I go to a machine
> down the hall, is there any way to display the pre-existing window?

No.  You have to install VNC-server, a modified X server,  and use the
XVNC client.  Since you haven't done this, there is no way for you to
get your X11 display from a local machine.

Now, if you were a "k001 h4X0R"... ahem.  If you use a console-based
email client, as in mutt, pine, elm, nmh, or even emacs w/some funky
elisp mailmode, AND if you were running screen[1], you could
power-detach the screen instance from your workstation's display and
reattach it to your ssh/telnet instance to that machine.

The key to this solution is running screen.  Once you try it, you'll
never go back.