1) I get doc files from Boeing, USAF, US army, US Navy, all of my airline
customers from
around the world on a daily basis. I have no idea what version of word they
use.
All seem to open just fine in word 2000. All seem to open just fine in Word
'97.

2. Hard  to say. I have documents is WordStar, WordPerfect, AmiPro, and
various page layout
programs. I have to keep a copy of the programs around to read these older
documents. I have
made the effort to port some of them. Mostly, the "markup formatted"
documents are just as
hard to read as stuff with embedded magic codes.

I would say that straight ASCII files are your best bet.
Keep a paper file around if you want to preserve the formatting layout.

Oddly enough, I doubt that most of the group can read any of my 20 year old
documents on
the media I have them on. (CPM OS floppies, spread across a mix of 8"
formats,
5" hard sectored northstar and  1" punched paper tape)

3. Great idea. RTF did not exist 15 years ago. (See # 2)
I have my doubts that it will be in use in 15 years.

4. Most books being printed today are submitted in word. The comment and
markup features
are used differently by each publisher. Some use notes, some use revision
tracking, and most
actually have a style guide they expect the author to follow.

Word is a fact of life. Deal with it. You don't have to like it, but there
it is.

Mark Browne