Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com> writes:

> On 25 May 2002, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > I created a test for that a few years ago; http://www.dd-b.net/stpit/
> > is the top of it.  All email sent to the addresses on exhibit there
> > goes into a special folder (and is reported to spamtraps.taint.org).
> >
> > I believe I created it in October of 1999 (that's the earliest file
> > date I can find in the directory).  The first spam arrived in August
> > of 2000.  The most *recent* spam arrived in it December of 2001.
> > Only 111 pieces of spam have *ever* arrived in it, including at least
> > 6 test message I sent myself.
> >
> > My conclusion, so far, is that spammers do harvest the web for
> > addresses, but only very rarely, and they don't seem to pass the
> > addresses so harvested around.
>
> Do the search engines actually archive this page, though?
>
> I'd guess that the spambots start at the engines and go from there..

Really?  Why would they do that?  And what sort of query would a
spambot use in a search engine to start off it's traversal?  I don't
see any value added in going through the intermediate layer -- rather
the reverse, since a spambot would want *not* to respect robots.txt
exclusions, for example.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net