On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 10:39 , Scott Dier wrote:
> * Kevin Bullock <kbullock at ringworld.org> [020528 20:58]:
>> ones I know of who connect a digital display with a digital connection
>> (and they even use a multilateral standard). LCD displays just don't
> Actually, no, they use their own, called the ADC, afaik.   It puts power
> and video in the same connector.

ADC is based directly on DVI; the only difference AFAIK is the
connectors (i.e. they just add a few pins to carry the power and USB
too). If nothing else, adaptors are easily available. And the new
revision of the TiBook has a DVI out instead of an ADC or VGA out.

> My 20in Dell LCD is hooked up via DVI to my Radeon VE at 1600x1200 at
> work.

That's cool. I didn't know such things existed.

Then again, if I didn't know that the DVI connectors existed, then most
users won't know they exist and therefore won't have a digital TFT
connection, whereas most Mac users will. Is Dell selling their machines
standard using DVI, or are they still selling them connecting TFTs to
VGA ports?

As to the PA-RISC thing, I'd be interested to read more about the
architecture. The fact that they have tied themselves to Intel kinda
disturbs me though. Their upgrade path flows right into the Itanium
line, and I still haven't quite decided how I feel about the Itanium.

In any case, the PowerPC architecture is light years ahead of x86, so
for desktops, I'll still take my Mac. For a server, PA-RISC could be
cool, Itanium /might/ be cool, but then again, an Xserve would be really
cool too. :) Or an RS-6000 for that matter, depending on application and
budget (they're PPCs too).

Pacem in terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock