Brian wrote:
> Thank you all very much for your help.  I should have made one thing
> clearer, though.  The data file is not always numeric, some lines look
> like:
>
> 0100My name is Jim
>

>>strip=${six//0}
>

> What exactly does this line do?  How do get the man page for it?

man sh or man bash

the // is a basic pattern substitution.

the basic form is
${variable/pattern/replacement}
or
${variable//pattern/replacement}

the // is the greedy form, meaning it makes the longest match possible.
  when you leave off the replacement it deletes the pattern instead of
replacing it.

if you start the pattern with a # then the pattern must match to the
beginning so to work with the example above change it to

strip={$six//#0?}

this way it won't match the 00 pattern following the 1

you can use a % instead of # if you want the pattern to be at the end

Eric