highly recommened!  it's a great OS.  in the current incarnation it's
freebsd 4.2 for the unix layer (mach kernel underneath).  a lot of
stuff builds right out of the box.

i made the "switch" to OS X back in february on my work laptop from
triboot linux/fbsd/win2k i got sick of having to reboot to win2k to
edit large word/excel documents.

i've reached my holy grail - a unix box with a real office
implementation and a nice interface (i'm still grappling with how much
i like aqua or not) with really good development tools.  98% of the
unix functionality that i want (it ships with some old curses libs and
some oddities in the compiler but most folks won't notice that).

the enterprising user can replace the parts under the hood with the
work that's being done on the darwin side of things and there's a
flourishing freeware and shareware community.

apple did a really good job with shipping the components that people
expect to find on the unix side of things.  a really good emacs port,
include files in reasonable locations (really well done here) and
other stuff.  on the user space side of things they ship a lot of nice
stuff.  hell, fetchmail and procmail were in the default installation.
this shocked me.  fink makes getting your fix of other tools and newer
libraries a snap and the folks doing XonX have been churning out
really good code.

there are some rough spots.  i've alluded to the fact that some of the
libraries are a bit dated,  not all of the elements that it would be
nice to have documented have been documented and/or put into the
darwin side of things.  notable amongst this are some of the driver
elements.  (i'd like to know how they're interacting with the wireless
hardware)  i'm still not happy with the integration of netinfo (a
NeXTism) and the rest of the authentication world.  printing has some
real oddities associated with it (this will be addressed with the
introduction of CUPS in OS X 10.2) the release notes are skimpy on
details regarding what they're touching under the hood.  the terminal
application leaves me itching for xterms in a big way and sometimes
the wireless authentication and the driver interaction can be
interesting on the LEAP side of things.  i miss having as many
keyboard shortcuts as i used to for applications but that seems to be
the mac way and since i spend most of my time in terminal it doesn't
matter.

i bought an iBook to see how well i'd like it figuring that if i
didn't really care for it i wouldn't have all that much tied up in it.
from a hardware perspective it's the best laptop i've ever touched and
i've used a lot of them.  i consistently get 4.5-5 hours of battery
life and that's with real work taking place over that time period.  i
never shut it down i just close the lid and it goes to sleep instantly
and comes back to life instantly.  it's amazing.

when last we saw our hero (Saturday, Jul 27, 2002),
 Matt Waters was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC