how dare you bring reasonable points into this discussion?

when last we saw our hero (Saturday, Jul 27, 2002),
 Daniel Churchill was madly tapping out:

{ snipped - misc previous correspondence - all of it quite good }

> Someday, if the Linux snobs of the world don't wake up and consider
> that Microsoft might be able to address its issues effectively in
> future releases, they are going to find themselves wondering how
> Windows got so good while Linux went nowhere.  Fortunately (and
> unfortunately in the sense that the snobs of the Linux world will
> continue to delude themselves) Linux is not likely to fall behind,
> because not all of the Linux community has placed themselves in a
> Linux bubble and isolated themselves from everything Windows.

it bears pointing out that MS has made a very public bruhaha regarding
their newfound commitment to software stability and improvements in
security.  the last time they did this they had a second rate web
browser and nary a clue regarding what folks wanted from a server
application perspective.   anyone care to objectively notice that they
have the browser market dominated and that within corporations their
tools are more often than not the platform of choice for much
development?

do folks really think that they won't fix many of their more obvious
gaffes and retain the mindshare of corporate IT departments the world
over?

if the kids that expended their efforts calling folks dumbass, and
cheerleading such activities, were to channel that energy into
effective evangelism it might leave corporations with a better taste
in their mouths regarding linux and the other free OSs as well as the
open source development model in general.

instead, in many cases, they seem to associate it with whiny
name-calling kids with questionable personal hygiene. compare that
with their polished MS rep and their ability to schmooze the parties
with the pocketbook and you'll get a taste of how things eventually
end up working out.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC