On Friday 26 July 2002 09:49 am, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> If they are end-users why should they have to care about the OS?
>
> I think that it is totally unfair that computer _users_ need
> to worry about administering their own boxes and as such the
> OS they have matters.

It doesn't much matter what you think or do not think is fair.  The fact
of the matter is that there are millions of end users in the world who are
using computers in a small work environment and/or at home, where there is
not the benefit of a full or part-time system administrator (professional
or otherwise) to do their administering for them.  Those people have to do
it themselves, and such being the case, they have to worry about the OS.

> If the Interface follows the rules they have learned, why should the OS
> matter?

Ideally, an OS would be like a car.  All cars have the same basic
interfaces, which work in basically the same way.  The frills may work
differently, but are generally self-explanatory.

Operating systems have not reached this level except for the most basic
tasks, such as launching an application.  For example, if you have to
install software on a machine, it is in most cases significantly different
between Windows, MacOS, and *nix. There are exceptions to this. The
install for StarOffice on Linux is much the same as for Windows, and the
issues that would be considered by a "real" administrator are generally
explained onscreen, so that any user with an intelligence greater than 3
can make an informed decision that applies to his/her situation.

You are mostly right that if the user interface follows the rules they
have learned, the OS shouldn't matter.  My point is that the user
interfaces of the various consumer operating systems are not, nor does it
seem likely that they ever will be, written to a standard such that
installation, configuration, and day to day use are all done in a specific
way.  Indeed, using computers would become very boring if they ever did.

Respectfully,
Dan Churchill