I guess it was obvious that this is how this thread would end up after the
first post.  Still, I am disappointed and disgusted by the fact that it
actually dipped to the low of one person calling the other a dumb ass,
followed by someone else showing enthusiastic support for it.

For the record, I thought that Ryan brought up some valid points.  It's
obvious though, that too many of the people on this list are too far gone
to acknowledge them.

What Linux users fail to acknowledge in too many cases is that part of the
reason Microsoft products "cause" such problems is a result of the product
being designed for _users_ who *don't* "worry about administering their
own boxes".  If they weren't so popular in the first place, there wouldn't
be so many people trying to maliciously target them.  To further that
logic, if a comparable Unix app was to replace a Windows app at that level
of popularity (and thus scrutiny), it would likely have just as many
errors, just as many exploits.  Why are the mistakes made by Linux
developers any less severe?  Mostly because there aren't as many clueless
users to propagate the exploits.  Frankly, before Microsoft had such
problems with OS vulnerabilities, the default installations of virtually
no Linux platform were secure (for example, a telnet port accepting
connections in a default setup used to be done all the time in many, if
not all, the popular distributions).  After Microsoft had security
problems, it then became a more commonly-known fact that security is an
issue.  Then, and only then, did the Linux distros really start to worry
about secure setups in their installations.  And the result is a system
that is unquestionably more secure, *and* more difficult to setup and
maintain.

Let's face the facts - Microsoft releases fixes for mistakes they've made
and Linux developers release fixes for mistakes they've made.  And sure,
some of the mistakes Microsoft have made are the result of poor
decision-making, particularly regarding security issues. However The fact
remains that the world has yet to see an absolutely *perfect* piece of
software released by anyone, anywhere, for any operating system.  The
closest thing would be the software that controls such things as airplanes
or nuclear reactors - and if you thought Microsoft was expensive, you
don't even want to think about the expense to verify and certify the code
in these types of installations.  Fortunately, that level of perfection is
not necessary for the vast majority of users, which is why Microsoft has
done so well despite the problems it does have.  The fact remains that the
average user doesn't really care all that much about whether they have to
reboot the computer once a day, week, or month.

Someday, if the Linux snobs of the world don't wake up and consider that
Microsoft might be able to address its issues effectively in future
releases, they are going to find themselves wondering how Windows got so
good while Linux went nowhere.  Fortunately (and unfortunately in the
sense that the snobs of the Linux world will continue to delude
themselves) Linux is not likely to fall behind, because not all of the
Linux community has placed themselves in a Linux bubble and isolated
themselves from everything Windows.

Good day,
Dan Churchill