On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:51:12AM -0500, Ryan Ware wrote:
[snip]

> There is no "best" anything, there is "more" and "less" suitable for
> the task at hand.  Linux is really only a free version of Unix, it
> doesn't scale on up as Unix will, isn't as stable, fault tolerant
> (yet or maybe ever) as most Unixes.  All it is, is cheaper, and it
> will run on commodity hardware.  Step away from the alter of Linux
> long enough to realize this.  WTF is it about *nix that creates
> zealots.  I have never met anyone in the Microsoft camp that is a
> zealot about Microsoft to the extent that some members of the *nix
> camp are zealots about *nix.

That's generally because people who strive to be "windows admins"/MCSE's
are clueless morons with a piece of paper, I do know _one_ guy that's got
an MCSE that's rather intelligent, but he refuses to put it on his resume
(and only got it because the company he was working for paid for it, along
with the time off to work on it). Joe blow hears you can make money
in the tech industry, joe blow sees commercial on TV for XYZ school that
can make you money fast! joe blow gets a piece of paper then goes on to
waste money at a company that's running windows, because it's the only
thing halfway idiot proof enough for joe blow to run. Joe blow can reboot,
format, and reinstall windows when there's a problem.

You'll find 'zealots' everywhere, there are MacOS zealots (and rightly so,
it's a good OS for a lot of people), there are BeOS zealots (again, a
great OS, it just never caught on) and Linux/*BSD/Solaris/etc zealots,
99% of the time they're all being 'zealots' about people who continue
to use the garbage that microsoft to pump out, and charge more and more for.

It's hard to not get worked up when you're watching someone do something
that's obviously stupid, when there ARE alternatives that work _just as well_,
while being secure. Who ever said that E-Mail client = Calendar Client?
There's tons of wonderful free calendar programs out there that _do_
hotsync with PDA's, there is also a plethora of good email programs out
there that aren't virus factories.

Some day they'll be held accountable for what they do, if you haven't
noticed there's a new email virus out there for WebTV (microsoft bought them)
it makes the unit drop the connection to the net, and repeatedly dial 911.
If that's not an attact on the infrastructure of our country, and a threat
to our country (communications systems), i don't know what is.
(images of a few million webtv units war dialing floats through my head)
</rant></zealot>