On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:28:23PM -0500, Tracy McKibben wrote:

> After seeing it recommended here, I decided to give it a spin.  Took a
> while to get it up and running completely, but now that it is, I'm happy
> as a clam.  I love the ebuild system, and everything is so FAST compared
> to my Mandrake install.

I've had fun with it too. Has anyone seen a nice summary of the sorts of
compiler optimizations that people are using with Gentoo? I'm not a C
hacker so I don't understand all the various gcc options.

Right now I've got mine set as:

 Pentium Pro/Pentium II/Pentium III+/Pentium 4/Athlon exclusive
 (binaries
 # will use the P6 instruction set and only run on P6+ systems)
 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
 CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
 CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

I think these are fairly conservative.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com