On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:58:13PM -0500, Mike Jentges wrote:
>I'm still looking for any handy dandy tips on this one, but with 2k, not XP.
>I managed to get lucky once, only once. I've followed the same doc, right at
>the boxes, line by line. Seems all I get out of it is that I'm a computer
>account. I got desparate and tried as root and that gives me 'bad username
>or password'. All that fancy point and click crap can't even narrow it down
>more than that.
>
>I have to think there's an easier way?

Well, webmin offers some handy tools for doing what we used to do by hand
here to create samba users and machine accounts:
## To add a new user to the "Domain" follow this order.
##
##  ** This will add a machine account needed to establish a "trust" with a
w2k/
##  ** or NT workstation. The $ is needed after the machine name.
## 2. useradd -g <groupname> -d /dev/null -s /bin/false <machinename>$
##
##  ** Now add the user and machine accounts to samba
## 3. smbpasswd -a -e <username>
## 4. smbpasswd -a -m <machinename>$

Now when I need to add a users i do it from webmin and it makes the updates
to the "Samba Users" as well, then I go to the "servers" -> "Samba Machine
Maintainer" type in the hostname and I'm done  (On the samba end)

Then go to the PC right-click "My Computer" go into properties, hunt around
for "Network Identification" and it to the domain. Piece of cake.

Relevant lines from our smb.conf:
in [global]
workgroup = SISTINA
netbios name = SAMBA2
domain admin group =  blutgens
logon script = %u.bat
logon home = \\%N\%U
logon drive = g:
domain logons = Yes
os level = 64
preferred master = True
domain master = True
wins support = True

It's all gravy. Though I admit I didn't set this up, that was Tom Hudak who
used to be unfortunate enough to work for me :-) Poor bastard.

Hope this helps.
--
Ben Lutgens				 | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	 | http://www.sistina.com/

"If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back to you
hunt it down and set it on fire" -- George Carlin