HP Openmail was purchased by Samsung.  Samsung is now selling it.
Apparently it has all the features of exchange, runs on unix, and speaks
MAPI to Outlook clients.  Users won't notice a difference.  Supposedly it's
cheaper also.

Would you have to support the Exchange server, or do you have some other
windows admin that would?  We run exchange here, but I could care less
because I don't have to deal with administration on it.  It does suck
though, requires lots of lovin' to stay working properly.  Having the
functionality of Outlook is almost a prerequisite for any company, as long
as you have that you're good.  I'd take a look at Samsung's Openmail, it
gives you full integration w/ outlook, which is what your boss wants.

Jay