Deja Vu????   Bite the bullet, Exchange is alright.  And remember,
THERE IS NO OPEN SOURCE REPLACEMENT WITH THE FUNCTIONALITY OF
EXCHANGE.   If you gotta have Unix look at Notes.  And I am pretty
sure the CEO didn't call it "outpuke".  The variants M$, Micro$oft,
Microborg, Lookout, Outpuke, etc... make Linux users/advocates look
like zealots.

Grow up. Join the workforce, realize that he who pays the bills
makes the rules.  In case you haven't realized, Microsoft shops are
hireing about 10 to 1 compared to Unix shops.  Chances are you will
have to support at least some Microsoft products, why not make the
best of it and realize that not everything they have done has been
bad.  No, Exchange is not as flexible as Sendmail, nor is it as
difficult to use, nor has it had the pitiful security record of
Sendmail.  Sendmail, while an ass kicking smpt mailer has nothing to
offer corporate America looking for calandering/scheduling.

There is no "best" anything, there is "more" and "less" suitable for
the task at hand.  Linux is really only a free version of Unix, it
doesn't scale on up as Unix will, isn't as stable, fault tolerant
(yet or maybe ever) as most Unixes.  All it is, is cheaper, and it
will run on commodity hardware.  Step away from the alter of Linux
long enough to realize this.  WTF is it about *nix that creates
zealots.  I have never met anyone in the Microsoft camp that is a
zealot about Microsoft to the extent that some members of the *nix
camp are zealots about *nix.