Deffinitely try OS X.  It's great.  I've been running it on my G3 PB
(pismo 400MHz) and it's smooth.  Never had a problem with it.
Got Fink installed and running (port of apt utilities and GNU software).
All around very nice.

If, for some reason, you can't get X.  I've used YellowDog on my 9500
and thought it worked rather well.  This was just before I got the G3 so
I didn't play with it much after that.
:-)

Gentoo also looks good.  I've only installed it on a friends machine and
didn't actually play with it.  The install was fun though.
And of course - Debian, Mandrake and Suse (I think... Not sure bout Suse).

sim