Patrick McCabe wrote:

>My wife has a G3 powerbook that isn't getting much use, so I was thinking
>about installing Linux to it.  Is there a favorite distribution out there?
>We would like to dual boot and keep the existing Mac OS (OS 8.something).
>I assume I need a repartitioning tool for this - any recommendations?

I believe there are only 3 PowerPC distributions left.  YellowDog,
Debian, and Mandrake.

Mandrake and Debian have the advantage that you can use the same
distributions on both your i386 and PPC boxes.  However, the
disadvantage of Mandrake is that I haven't seemed to be able to find a
US distributor for it.

I've use YellowDog on my Macs for one reason.  I have dialup, and
Debians strength seems to be in running unstable and updating
frequently.  Not fun over dialup.

YellowDog 2.3 ISO's should be available soon, and the distribution seems
to be very up-to-date and modern.

>We have managed to misplace the Mac OS CD that I assume came with the
>computer.

Me too. :(  I assume Mandrake lets you resize partitions on PPC too.  I
don't remember if YellowDog does.  Also, don't forget about
Mac-On-Linux. (Although I havent had time to get it working yet.)

Brent Metzler
brent at bmetzler.org