I would try OSX on it.  As much as I like Linux, OSX is very sweet.  You
have your unix environment, with a pretty GUI and the ability to run things
like Quicken.  Plus, you can install all sorts of GNU stuff, and a rootless
X server.  If you don't like it, you can always wipe it and install linux.
I've been using Gentoo lately and I love it, there's a PPC version too.

Jay