MJ <mike at jentges.net> writes:

> Ok, so I'm completely ignorant. I'll risk looking like an idiot and ask.
>
> How can wireless data be worth a sh** if I drop calls on my cell going
> under a bridge or some such? There's obviously a difference, but....

Well, for one thing I mostly don't want to use my wireless net
connectivity while driving, since I need my eyes and hands on the
computer to get much good out of it.  When I'm sitting still, the
connectivity tends to be steady -- if I'm sitting under the bridge,
perhaps non-existent, but steady.

And then, the newer technologies with decent data rates are in a
different frequency band from my current phone, and so behave
differently, so what I see with my current phone isn't a good guide to
what I'd see with a modern high-bandwidth data connection.

And then some of the wireless connection discussion isn't about
working through a phone system at all.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net