On Wednesday 17 July 2002 16:53, William Brandt wrote:
> Was wondering what is out there for linux and if that is the place to
> start? Any sincere advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> My info: Looking to be a network admin and be able to do html etc. and
> learn some programing. Love Linux and unix in general. Hate windo$e with
> a passion. Pounded on wido$e for 8 yrs. Been using linux(RedHat) now for
> about 6 months. Never played with any other OS's. I'm a truck driver
> moving into the geek world.
>
> Please any respectfull advise would be deeply appreciated.
>

> 					Thanks, Squack

[Disclaimer: I used to teach at a small career college so my opinions may be
biased.]

There are plenty of 2-year tech schools in town with "Network/PC Support and
Admin" type courses. Many of these now include a Linux component along with
the usual MS oriented stuff.  My suggestion is to look for a program that
does not include certifications as part of the core program. Most will have
"prep classes" for A+, Net+, etc. which is good, but won't promise that
"you'll be an A+ certified technician or MCSE or RHCE, etc" when your done.
These are usually more broadly defined with some actual business practice
education as part of the program. Most of these programs will include basic
HTML and some scripting or possibly VB, to teach basic programming skills.

When I taught up in Duluth we had several people in your situation. Tired of
what they were doing and looking for a change of pace.

Good Luck!

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com