I'd point out that the default telnet client on Windows really sucks,
but I digress.  As for free clients, there's

http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html
http://www.cygwin.com

When I need a' real' terminal emulator I usually use TeraTerm Pro with
ttssh but most of the time I just use the ssh client that comes with the
Cygwin distribution.

--rick