Hello,
I'm trying to set up iptables to use ethernet aliases as incoming or
outgoing devices, take the following command as an example...

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0:1 -j DNAT --to-destination
10.0.0.99

if I attempt to execute that command I receive the following message...

WARNING: wierd character in interface 'eth0:1' (No aliases, :, !, or *).

but if I then do a `iptables -L -t nat -v` the rule has made it into the
chain complete with the supposedly bogus interface designation.  So my
question is whether this is just a warning as it indicated in the
message and will actually function properly or if I'm truly not allowed
to use ethernet aliasing in iptables.  I have enough other chaos in my
system right now that I can't just try to use it to find out, my packets
could very well drop for a number of other reasons and I'd never know so
a response from someone who has dealt with this before would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben.