I'm going to be venturing out soon and spending some time in areas where
net access will be intermittent, at best, so I'm looking for suggestions
on how best to set things up on my laptop and mail server.

My preferred software for online mail is the combination of mutt and exim.
I figure that simply modifying the cron job that runs exim's queue on the
laptop to only do so when online should pretty well handle outgoing mail.

For incoming mail, adding fetchmail to the mix is the obvious solution.
However, my recollection of past experience with fetchmail is that it
only allows the options of deleting all mail from the server as it is
collected or never deleting mail from the server.  But what I want is
something similar to various GUI MUA's option to delete mail from the
server once it has been deleted on the client.

Another wrench in the works is that the server is already breaking my
mail out into several mailboxes.  Without duplicating all the filtering
on the laptop as it is retrieved, this does not fit in well with the
way that fetchmail operates.

I suppose one (slightly oddball) option would be to use CVS to synchronize
/var/spool/mail and ~/Mail, but a) I don't really want to maintain a
version history of my mailboxes and b) yeah, it would work, and probably
be fairly efficient, but somehow it just seems Wrong.

Anyone have a better way of accomplishing what I want?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss