On Wednesday 10 July 2002 14:25, Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Peter Clark wrote:
> >         So last night, I was told to change the permissions of /dev/ttyS3
> > to crw-rw----, and it was good. But This morning when I tried to connect,
> > the permissions had changed back to crw-r-----! I did not reboot or
> > anything; the computer was on all night.
>
> nevermind rebooting, did you logout and login again... redhat used some
> pam sorcery to set permissions for some "special" devices when you are the
> first person to login locally...
	Well, I'm running Debian, and no, I didn't log out. As I said, I'm pretty
sure it has something to do with KPPP (I'm running 3.0.2). Two minutes ago, I
went off-line, and set the permissions to crw-rw----. Then I connected and
immediately checked the permissions again: crw-r-----. Either that, or it
could be something with ppp. I don't know, but it is driving me nuts trying
to figure it out.
	:Peter