On Wednesday 10 July 2002 12:38, Peter Clark wrote:
	Replying to myself here:
> 	I'm running Debian, so as far as I know there is no rouge program
> resetting my security settings.
	I found the rouge program, or at least narrowed it down to two: either kppp
or ppp itself. I ran 'ls /dev/ttyS3' and saw that everything was good,
connected using kppp, and suddenly it's been reset to crw-r-----.

> 	Plus, I still don't know why the modem is stuck at 3.1k. When I first
> dial-up, it's averaging between 5k and 6k, just like a 56k modem should,
> but then after a while it goes down to 3.1k. I've tried two ISPs and I get
> the same behavior, so it's a problem at my end.
	The answers to both of these problems still elude me...
	:Peter