On Wednesday 10 July 2002 10:23, John Joseph Trammell wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:39:54AM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> >         So last night, I was told to change the permissions of /dev/ttyS3
> > to crw-rw----, and it was good. But This morning when I tried to connect,
> > the permissions had changed back to crw-r-----! I did not reboot or
> > anything; the computer was on all night. So I changed it back again.
> > Then, I noticed that my speed had dropped to 3.1k. (I've got a 56k modem,
> > so this is roughly cutting the speed in half.) I looked at the
> > permissions and sure enough, they had changed back to crw-r-----! What's
> > going on? I checked what processes were running, and the only one that
> > seemed remotely possible was lisa, KDE's LAN Information Server (I don't
> > know why that's running, so I stopped it removed it from /etc/init.d.)
> >
> >         :Peter
>
> Possibly you have a cron job that checks (and sets) perms on certain
> files.  Do a 'man -k suid', look in /etc/cron.daily/, look for
> /etc/suid.conf, et cetera.

If you run Mandrake there is a program called "msec" that runs every night
checking and then resetting the permissions on your system based on your
"security level". Check for that too:)

Nick

--
Nick Davis
Associate Systems Administrator
ndavis at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com

(612)676-1946
Web Development-Web Marketing-ISP Services