On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:03:29PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> <dead horse action=beat>
> I think the prime place for Redhat is the corporate server room, and maybe
> the corporate desktop as well. the tested integrity of their distribution
> (something debian unstable doesn't have), balanced against the recentness of
> their packages (something debian stable doesn't have), is a good fit for the
> corporate environment, where stability is valued, but we still need the
> latest applications to compete with other camps' offerings. (Sun, M$, Apple,
> Novell)
> </dead horse>

Huh?  I don't see the corporate server room as a place where
freshness is more valuable than stability, and it certainly shouldn't
be the domain of "newbies who don't know what's available and what
they can do with it", so why would you rank Red Hat above Debian
stable there?  (I can see your point wrt the desktop (although I
disagree), but aren't your servers supposed to be absolutely
rock-solid stable, even if it means giving up bells and whistles?)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss