On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Ok, so ATT just launched their GSM network here in Minneapolis.
> Perfect timing since my 8260 just died.  So, being there are many
> people on this list who might know, or might be able to put me in
> touch with someone who would know....  I read awhile back that ATT
> found a way to lock their SIM's so they will only work in an ATT
> locked GSM phone, not in an unlocked phone. Is this true?  I know ATT
> locks their phones, but their SIM's too?

Note that AT&T's GSM networks beats VoiceStream's in the local area (I've
got a T68, and just about everywhere my VoiceStrem signal dies, I can see
the AT&T network, although I can't link to it, 'cuz I'm voicestream), but
once you get outside of town, you get nothing. AT&T also has not
established any GSM roaming agreements yet, so.. well, it sucks. (I
already sent VoiceStream an e-mail asking them to get an agreement set
up.. I doubt it'll happen though.)

I drove out to Fargo yesterday, I had VoiceStream on and off all the way
down 94, but AT&T died and never came back after around hwy. 101.

> I want to get an Ericcson t68i, but ATT doesn't provide it, so I'll
> have to buy an unlocked one somewhere.  But if ATT's SIM doesn't work
> in an unlocked phone, I guess I'm stuck with the t68 (not the i).

I just picked up a T68, love it.

> Also, ATT's GPRS data pricing is outrageous.  7.99 for 1MB, and 12.99
> for 2MB.  At GPRS speeds, you could easily go over your limit in just
> 10 minutes.  GPRS is expensive through any provider, but ATT is double
> the price of Voicestream.  I'd switch providers, but I don't want to
> lose my phone number.  Some politicians are trying to pass laws that
> would make it possible for your number to follow you, like it does in
> the UK, but obviously cell providers here are "donating" big money to
> not have these laws pass.  Number portability would increase
> competition and benefit the consumer since the #1 reason people don't
> switch providers is because they don't want to change their number.

I asked the AT&T rep about this, he was amazed that VoiceStream was able
to sell 1mb for $2.99. Note that it looks like AT&T's service for $7.99
does allow you to use a computer with it, where VoiceStream's doesn't.
(Minimum VoiceStream plan that does allow you to use a PC/PDA is $20 min..
ugh!)

> If anyone knows anything about the SIM issue, or knows someone at ATT
> that could tell me, please let me know.  Also, if anyone knows of a
> good source for unlocking cables or clips for the t68(i), please tell.

If anyone has a AT&T SIM, I'll call VoiceStream and get my T68 unlocked
(they will actually give out the unlock codes; they are just about the
only provider that will), and we could give it a shot in the phone..