On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:50:30PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>good riddance to the 'gcc-2.96' lunacy. One of the things I *really* don't
>like about RH is their high-handedness about some things... like using their
>own compiler and making a lot of people work to become compatible with
>*them*, rather than the other way around. (all the patches they apply to the
>kernel is another one).
>
>any way you cut it, RedHat is still a commercial entity... on the upside,
>this means they can pay a bunch of people to do quality control. on the
>downside, they don't have the customer's interests at heart, as much as
>something like the Debian Project does. (and it shows. this is why RH won't
>ship apt4rpm anytime soon... it competes with their revenue model).

If you think the debian developers give a flying fsck what the users think
you're on crack. If you think redhat does NOT give a flying fsck what thier
users think, you're on crack.

So what if redhat patches thier kernels, point your favorite ftp client at
one of the kernel.org mirrors and have at it. When it all comes right down
to it, redhat DOES pay people to do quality control and it shows. And for
the record I've been using gcc-3.1 for quite a while and it's great (with
the notable exception of some symbol munging which can cause problems if
you have binary only stuff *jdk* that you wish to work with stuff you built
from source *mozilla*)

Cut redhat some slack, they're just trying to make a buck, they've given as
much to the opensores community as they've taken. All in all, thier distro
is the only one I truly trust on my servers (except for debian stable which
is too old in most cases for what we need) though I'm a touch miffed that
there's no recent ssh packages.

--
Ben Lutgens				 | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	 | http://www.sistina.com/

"I got a wife and kids too but you don't see me out here stealing Imperial
Droids now do ya?"