On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:50:30PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-3.1-7.i386.rpm
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-c++-3.1-7.i386.rpm
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-g77-3.1-7.i386.rpm
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-gnat-3.1-7.i386.rpm
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-java-3.1-7.i386.rpm
> > ./RedHat/RPMS/gcc-objc-3.1-7.i386.rpm
>
> good riddance to the 'gcc-2.96' lunacy. One of the things I *really* don't
> like about RH is their high-handedness about some things... like using their
> own compiler and making a lot of people work to become compatible with
> *them*, rather than the other way around.

I've never had a problem with it, except for mplayer bitching to no end about
it, after removing the specific anti-redhat code from configure it worked
absolutely fine.

>					 (all the patches they apply to the
> kernel is another one).

A lot of distributions, including mandrake, debian, suse, etc. add patches
to the kernel to fix bugs here and there (these eventually make it into
the mainstream kernel.

> any way you cut it, RedHat is still a commercial entity... on the upside,
> this means they can pay a bunch of people to do quality control. on the
> downside, they don't have the customer's interests at heart, as much as
> something like the Debian Project does. (and it shows. this is why RH won't
> ship apt4rpm anytime soon... it competes with their revenue model).

I think they have plenty of customer interest at heart, considering the
number of people using it they're obviously doing something right.

They've got a very nice installer, things like kudzu to relieve a lot
of the pain involved in installing new hardware, and all the GUI tools
needed to configure the system (Like SuSE or Mandrake) maybe Debian
has these things too, I haven't bothered to use a GUI setup under
debian lately. Perhaps I'll try it in vmware tonight.