Ok, here is an example of how this is working-

I turn on my computer on a network that has no DHCP server
The DHCP request fails on boot, so eth0 is not set up. I manually set eth0
with the correct ip, netmask, and broadcast. I set up routing correctly.
Then, I try and ping the gateway.  Nothing. I try and ping the other
computers on the network that I know are up.  Nothing.  So I save the
configuration using netconf (using the exact same settings I just did
manually) and go to init level 1, then back to init 5, and it magicly works.
This seems somewhat like a bug, and knowing RedHats reputation with pump,
they may have done something strange with ISC's client.   So, my question is
not "how do I set an ip address manually" its "what is dhcpcd doing so that I
cannot set an ip address manually"

Jay