Quoting Samir M. Nassar (nassarsa at redconcepts.net):
> Mr. Tanner,
>
> So './configure'  and 'make' should not be done as root BUT 'make install'
> should be.
>
> Or am I mistaken?

Mr. Tanner is my father. Call me Bob. :-)

If you have to build from tarball, us to the configure and make and non-root and
make install as root.

Personally and and Real Time, we don't install any software that is not in RPM
format. I always use the .rpm or rebuild from .src.rpm, so that every thing is
tracked by RPM.

This make upgrades much easier.

It also makes finding out what files belongs where easier too.

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500