On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 13:50, andy at theasis.com wrote:
> What do you mean by base station?
> I have orinoco cards in both my laptops and also in the firewall box --
> which connects to both my wired and wireless networks and routes their
> traffic through the net connections.

I'm still reading stuff about 802.11, but I want to setup a box to act
as a firewall between a wireless net and my wired net, and route traffic
accordingly.  Sounds like what you mention above.  Which drivers are you
using for your orinoco cards (orinoco_cs?)

> With 2.2.X kernels I used Prism chipset cards. The linux-wlan project,
> http://www.linux-wlan.com/, has drivers for PrismII cards for both 2.2 and
> 2.4 kernels. They also have a mailing list.

I looked at the linux-wlan project but it looked like I couldn't do what
I wanted (http://www.cafwap.net/prism2ap/).  Maybe I don't need to do
this though.

When I setup the "firewall" and laptop, I was able to get the cards
identified and configured.  I got the IPs assigned and everything but I
couldn't ping through the wifi interface.  (iwconfig and ifconfig seemed
to be ok...but I don't have much to base it off of).

Can you point me to any good doco for setting up a network like you
mention at the top?  Looking aound I have seen messages saying that the
support for Prism cards is not as good as Orinoco cards and that is why
I was asking about using them.  I have been looking at both the orinoco
driver and the linux-wlan driver and haben't found anything wonderfull
yet.

Dave