On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 07:33:53PM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:

> Instead of throwing more hardware at it, how about a software solution. Carl
> posted why mailman's archiving sucks. How about some of you Python guru's "fix"
> the performance issues?

I'm an eggdrop maintainer (http://www.eggheads.org), we use mailman for list
running on a low end K6 with 128M of ram it uses no noticable resources..

I've got a P233MMX CPU and a few sticks of 128M PC133 SDRAM laying on my
desk here if it's running on something akin to a 386..

> As an aside, we are not the only group feeling the pinch. Lots of talk about
> performance problems, scalability of mailman on the mailman developer list.
>
> I'd be willing to write the middle-ware and back-end stuff, if someone would
> work with me on designing the database to hold it all. Something like an open
> source www.geocrawler.com.
>
> So, time to put up or shut-up. Open source is about technical people solving
> their own problems (aka scratching their own itch). Seems like we got a big-ass
> mosquito bit. Who wants to help scratch?

Without information about the bottlenecks it's hard to provide any solutions,
I have a 486 with 14M of ram happily running bind, an irc server, zebra, bgpd,
and accepting syslog and snmp traps from multiple hosts, it has no problems.

--
Matthew S. Hallacy                               CACU, PWGCS, and BOFH Certified
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                         GPG public key 0x01938203