Quoting Mike Bresnahan (mbresnah at visi.com):
> > Another option would be one of the for-free mailing list
> > services, which are
> > supported by ads placed in the emails.  The ads are annoying, but they do
> > work.
>
> This seems like the most economical solution.  Why spend time and money
> designing, buying, configuring, and admining a mailing list server when
> there are free ones out there that work quite well?

I must be very different then most who subscribe to this list. Turn around time
of an email is not that big of a deal to me. 45min, 1 hour, 1 week, doesn't
matter to me.

If I want immediate results, I jump on to irc, there is usually someone always
there to help. If not #tclug, then #<your distro here>.

What is the list's expectation in turn around time?

As the list grows, so will the demands, hardware will only push the red-flag
performance day further out.

Instead of throwing more hardware at it, how about a software solution. Carl
posted why mailman's archiving sucks. How about some of you Python guru's "fix"
the performance issues?

As an aside, we are not the only group feeling the pinch. Lots of talk about
performance problems, scalability of mailman on the mailman developer list.

I'd be willing to write the middle-ware and back-end stuff, if someone would
work with me on designing the database to hold it all. Something like an open
source www.geocrawler.com.

So, time to put up or shut-up. Open source is about technical people solving
their own problems (aka scratching their own itch). Seems like we got a big-ass
mosquito bit. Who wants to help scratch?

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500