> A 486, with maybe 16 meg of memory and a slow hard drive, ought to be
> more  than ample, assuming (a fair assumption), that it's going to run
> some sort of  standard mailing list software, like, say, mailman under
> Linux.  We're  talking about a mailing list, after all, that, on a busy
> day, has fewer than  several dozen emails.
>
> Alternately, trying to persuade some local Linux user who already has a
>  server up and running mailing lists, and, ideally, a static IP, to add
> such a  low-volume one to his server.
>
> Another option would be one of the for-free mailing list services,
> which are  supported by ads placed in the emails.  The ads are
> annoying, but they do  work.

Then we have several options:

Munir has several CPU's, video and NIC cards laying about I am sure if we
ganged up on him at the install fest and threatened bodily harm to him he
would cough some stuff up. Alternatively we could ask him nicely. (besides
we have too much junk that isn't being used.)

The CPU's are mainly Pentium 90's I think. If a 486 can cover our needs then
the Pentium 90 should be more than enough.

As for the connection to the net; well again, what is needed? Munir is the
RedConcepts sysadmin. He's been working on setting up a DMZ. If he can get
that up and running it would free up some IP adresses so it could
potentially be hosted with us.

Of course, Munir doesn't know I am making all these offers. *grin*

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET