J Woz wrote:

>My company is currently running 4 Domino servers on
NT and we've noticed
>that they really should be restarted every night
because of memory leaks,
>or whatever, but a Domino server on NT never seems
very stable for very
>long. I'm not sure this is Lotus's fault :-)  The
reason we don't go Linux
>here is for management purposes. We run a Lotus
development shop and we
>have to access the data sitting at the server a lot,
which you cannot do

We do too (run a Lotus dev shop) - we had some
problems with earlier r5 versions having to reboot but
haven't had any problems really since we upgraded to
5.0.7+ - and I noticed yesterday that 5.0.9a does fix
some of the view applet stuff...

Anyway - don't put too much faith in Lotus' ability to
surpass MS pitfalls - the memory leaks could very well
be Lotus' fault - whether by oversight in the way MS
uses resources, or improper configuration of Lotus on
MS - doesn't much matter. Oh yeah, and if you have to
run Crystal Reports 8 - ugh - that'll crash both.

>on Linux since there's not a Notes client for X yet
(actually, it does
>run under WINE, but sorta unstable).  Everything has
to be accessed
>from a remote client.  We also have very illiterate
users who on occasion
>need to access the server console for this or that,
and they would simply
>freak at a Linux prompt.

Speaking with my Notes Admin hat - whyyyyyyy do you
have end users/illiterate users touching the admin
console!?????

Again - I guess I don't understand why you need to
have a client on the server - realistically you
*shouldn't* be installing the client on the server on
any platform with R5, but that's another story. Other
than agents that need to run as server (which you can
schedule) most everything that needs to be done
*should* be able to be done remotely from any box on
the network, other than admin console work which still
can mostly be done remotely from the admin client.

Liz