> I assumed I would use some variety of Linux with a GUI desktop. Which
> variety and GUI is probably where I could use the advice. If anyone has
> any specific experience advocating for free software in government I'd
> like to hear about it.

Use Mandrake 8.1 and KDE.

KDE because of the included Konqueror browser.  It's ability to browse both
the outside world and your own volumes is very compelling when a person sees
it in action for the first time, very recently in my case.  I was impressed.

The music that it (KDE) plays on startup is nice too.  Makes a good first
impression.

Mandrake because its graphical install is extremely elegant as well as
efficient, an important consideration if the installation is being observed.
Printers, network connection, and root + at least one user are
pre-configured before the first startup.  Keep terminal use to a minimum,
especially at first.  Why make it look "hard" ?

Find out all you can about the hardware and peripherals to ensure full
functionality, or at least to be prepared to explain why this or that
doesn't work quite right.

Prepare by all means.  Don't leave the guy with a bad taste in his mouth.
If everything works well, he is all but certain to demonstrate it to other
council members.  Maybe a pilot project could get under way.

Again though,  make absolutely sure that everything works.  The city employs
no small number of entrenched Wintellians with zero motivation to learn
anything so completely new.  There are also some folks in Redmond who might
be against even trying Linux, far too "difficult", probably even "dangerous"
right ? You can be sure that they're keeping some sort of tabs on their
"customers" (not to imply that anyone would notice your little demo).  Why
provide an excuse not to try it ?

I'd also leave him with a dual boot, no matter what.  You don't want to
leave him high and dry with a problem he can't solve and yourself nowhere to
be found.  He has work to do, after all.  Just set Linux as the default.

Regards,

MJF

(city employee, wishing you luck)