On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 13:04, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > Does this mean you do not want Linux to gain in popularity?
>
> No.  I'm not against it, but I'm not for it either.  So long as Linux
> is there for me and can do what I want it to, I couldn't care less
> what the rest of the world uses.  (I care very much about protocols,
> data file formats, etc., as those need to be standardized for the
> sake of interoperability, but what OS someone else uses to speak
> those protocols or create those files is of no interest to me.)

Just my 2 cents, the only reason I'd like to see Linux gain in
popularity is I'd like to see more job openings for developers with Open
Source tools. I'm assuming that as Linux would become more popular, so
would job openings for Python/etc. developers. Being unemployed and
looking for work seems to strengthen this opinion in me. :) (so for
purely selfish reasons would I like to see Linux gain in popularity, I
guess :P)

Wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with the protocols/formats
comment.

carlos