On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:34, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:
<snip>
> How do the "gurus" feel about the move to increase ease of use and the
> similarities to the Windows "look and feel"?   And lastly, have others on the
> list tried these new distros?

I haven't tried the new distros, nor am I anywhere close to being a
guru. I've installed redhat once, long ago, and recently tried debian
for a while. Currently though, I'm running gentoo
(http://www.gentoo.org). What I find interesting is that in my initial
exposure to Linux I had always been left wanting a more "polished"
experience like that of Windows or MacOS (or BeOS, which was my OS of
choice until things finally hit the fan). However, after taking the time
to get a basic gentoo system running, I find that I don't care so much
about the bells and whistles, and despite that I'm really enjoying using
the computer (gentoo's portage system rocks!). I'm running a pretty
plain Gnome desktop, and the biggest thing that affects how I feel about
the system is how snappy things are. Stability isn't 100% (but it's darn
good), and I still need to boot into XP every now and then (then more
often than now). I think the beauty of Linux and Open Source is that a
guy like me will probably always be able to find a distro he's happy
with, and so will a guy like you.

> incorporating many of the same characteristics found therein.  Although I am
> slowly learing the command line, I have yet to need it using the Lycoris
> distro.  And in my opinion...thats a good thing.
>
> Comments?

To each his own on the command line. I wish I could type in two term
windows at once! ;) Seriously though, I wish I was more proficient with
it... it's just so powerful.

carlos

(new to the list, if anyone has questions about gentoo I'll be glad to
try to answer them, but I'm pretty newbie-ish)