    BT> Anyone know how to config emacs per "project"? Like a .emacs for each project
    BT> you work on?

    BT> I ask because I just had 1 of the open source project I work on switch from tabs
    BT> to spaces for indenting -and- from 2 space indent to 4 space indent.

    BT> It would be no big deal, but another project I work on is 2 space indent.

    BT> Get's annoying having to change my .emacs files depending on which project I
    BT> work on.

The best I can think of would be to develop a set of project-specific
configuration functions.  Then, build a hook for, say, C-mode, that
would look at the buffer (full) filename and, based on the directory,
choose to execute the right project-specific function.  Not specially
elegant, I'm afraid.

the auto-mode-alist is ALMOST the right thing, but I don't believe the
matching gets access to the full directory name; only the filename.

Hope that helps,