On Fri 2002/01/18 08:12:34 CST, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy at veldy.net> writes:

> > Just wondering why you care?  Running servers on RoadRunner are slow.
> > Upload speeds are throttled to 384k.  I regularly get around 2000k
> download
> > - I probably wouldn't even notice if someone in my neighborhood was
> running
> > a "busy" server (eg using up his total 384k).
> >

> Yes you would.  Especially if two people in your neighborhood are (think
> Morpheus).  When that upload pipe is plugged, the download pipe will stall.
> It won't matter if you have 1Gbps download if you can't upload your acks.

I thought the 384k was limited per user and not per neighborhood?  I get
little variance in my upload pipe (usually around 300k) but ALOT of
variance in my download pipe (anywhere from 600-2400k (yes, occasionally I
get higher than the supposed theoretical max)).  I really don't know much
about how cable modems work (I know more about DSL but still not all that
much).