On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 14:16, Brian Strassman wrote:

> Nate Straz wrote:
> >
> > I've seen ads for the "Super Computer Sale" at Canterbury Park this
> > weekend.  Do people really find good deals at this show?  Is it worth
> > going?
> >
> > I've been to some shows in the past, but I don't find their $8 admission
> > charge worth the show.  Compared to online prices, I don't see the
> > point.
> >
> > What does everyone else think?  Should I just find a good online shop or
> > is it worth driving to Shakopee this weekend to find some deals?
> >
> > Nate
> >
> > P.S. I'm shopping for storage at the moment, probably a few IDE drives
> > and an extra controller.
>

> Good luck finding standalone controllers.  I went to the last
> sale at the Fairgrounds looking for an IDE RAID card for
> my Windoze box, and came up bust.  Plenty of vendors with
> plenty of motherboards w/onboard RAID, but no standalone IDE
> RAID cards, and I don't think I saw any standalone
> IDE cards at all at any of the vendor booths.

This squares with my take on such things:  going to one of these things
with some disposable money -- and a desire to find some neat stuff,
preferably old neat stuff cheap, usually works.  Going to find a
specific thing, at a good price, probably is less likely.

Realistically, if you're looking for IDE drives, you're probably not
going to find much more bang for the buck than, say, a 60GB EIDE
ULTRA-ATA/100 DESKSTAR 7200RPM 60GXP from IBM for $113.50, as a quick
search at ZDnet reveals.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester