On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:12:56PM -0600, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:

> I work as a Broadcast Engineer at the O&O Fox-29 in Minneapolis.
> Video editing software on Mac/Windows is literally years ahead in
> development compared to Linux.  I'm not trying to bash Linux here,
> but I would simply ask why?  Video editing on the desktop could have
> been a "killer app" for Linux, but it completely missed the boat.

As a Broadcast Engineer, unless you're really green, you should be
aware that this is comparing apples to oranges.  Digital video editing
started back in the late 70's and early 80's (notably with LucasFilm's
SoundDroid and VideoDroid projects, under Andy Moorer who spun off to
become Sonic Solutions when Lucas backed out.)  Linux didn't even
exist then.

It wasn't until '94 or '95 that digital video even began to encroach
on broadcast and professional editing suites -- led by Avid, mostly.
Even the million dollar editors weren't as functional as a 2"
online-editing room.

They didn't develop for Linux at that time, because the tools they
needed were more readily available elsewhere (Mac).

If you're talking about Linux not leading the way with the tools
trickling down to the semi-pro / consumer level, well, it's usually
the original platform or a close cousin that gets to lead the way.

This is one of the downsides of the earlier days of Linux as a DIY
hacker project -- it didn't have it's foot in very many doors that
weren't dorm rooms or CSCI geeks'/depts.  These days, Linux *is*
considered as a place to start, but you have to look harder to find an
open field to plow.

--
www.rephil.org

"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood