On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 Jimmy Jam wrote:
> I have a DSL Internet connection via cable modem.  How can I run a DNS
> server on my Linux machine that will replicate itself from the DNS of my
> ISP and be contactable by other DNS servers?  In other words, how can I
> directly host websites on my machines which will be contactable from
> outside?

DNS is a fairly big topic.  In order to be recognized as nameserver for a
domain, your machine would have to be recognized by the DNS hierarchy as
being authoritative for that domain.

You might also need to set up a secondary domain name server.  Your ISP
may be willing to provide a secondary/slave name server for your domains.

Some DNS resources:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

Joel