On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 08:50, Ben Stallings wrote:
> Hello again, folks.  Here I am with another remedial question...
>
> My machine has sound built into the motherboard with the SiS 7018 chipset.
> Windows 98 required a special driver (provided with the motherboard) before
> it would recognize the chip, but Mandrake 8.1 recognized it right away.
> Unfortunately it doesn't work.  I found a tip online where someone said to
> use the command "modprobe trident" to configure the thing, but when I try it
> I get the following:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/trident.o.gz: insmod trident
> failed
>
> I'm afraid I need more of a "hint" than that.  Suggestions?  --Ben

My own limited experience with Linux and outre hardware suggests that
the best and cheapest course is, generally, to just buy a standard
part.  (My wife's machine, for example, recognizes its old NE2000
compatible NIC card under Windows, but not under Mandrake -- so we
picked up a cheap Intel card.  This would have been a smarter move if
I'd just done it in the first place, rather then spending hours and
hours trying to get the old card to work.)
--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester