On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:59:14AM -0600, Miller, John wrote:
> Has anyone done any video editing with their Linux machine.  I am looking to build a new machine and am looking for pointers on components, mainly the video card.  I would like video in and video out so I can transfer video tape to the computer.  I am also thinking of taking some of the videos and making DVD's out of them.

I've done plenty of video capture with my primary system[1], I use avifile for
capture/encoding and if needed can dump it back out via S-Video[2] I can
do real-time divx encoding, 30fps 640x480 'good quality' with no problems.

I use this for recording star trek episodes and storing them on CD =P

The video card itself isn't really important for video editing, get
a bt848 based TV card with the inputs that you need, for output
you can use S-Video, or simply burn SVCD's that will play in any
DVD player (standard CD-R disk).

[1] PC Chips M830 SiS735 chipset (it's the ECS K7S5A)
    512M DDR, 110G disk space (ATA100 IDE)
    SCSI CD-RW, WinTV (bt848) TV card with RCA & standard
    coax cable input, 1.3GHz Athlon "c" core

[2] I've got a Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card that just
    happens to have better S-Video output quality than my Voodoo3 so
    I use it instead.

> The components that I am thinking about so far are
> AMD XP 1800 or 1900
> Elitegroups ESC K7S5A with the SIS735 chipset.  Tomshardware gave it a good review.
> 512 MB DDR
> 36 GB SCSI Ultra 160 Drive
> SCSI DVD-Ram and CD-RW (2 components)

The memory and fast/large disk are important, I'm holding out for full capacity
DVD writers before investing.

--
Matthew S. Hallacy                               CACU, PWGCS, and BOFH Certified
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                         GPG public key 0x01938203